The most-wished-for, most-gifted, and has the most 5-star reviews of any product on Amazon: Kindle! Thinner, lighter, easier-to-read, and CHEAPER. New wi-fi only Kindle is only $139 new!
You don’t need to purchase a Kindle device to utilize Amazon to purchase eBooks. You can download (for free) Kindle applications for PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Blackberry, and Android. Then you can access thousands of FREE books or purchase any of the books for sale and use the free Kindle applications as reading devices. Using the Kindle is far superior as a READING device than any of these devices – especially the phones.
Outside of the price, the best improvement over the current 2nd gen Kindle or the iPad (or any other e-reader): Battery life of up to 1 month! That is AWESOME! I assume that’s in standby most of the time to get a full month between charges, but that is still incredible. My 2 year old iPhone now lasts about 6 hours between charges. My laptop only lasts about 2 hours on a charge.
They are hyping some things that I personally don’t care about. New web browser. Don’t care – it’s an eReader – not an iPad or netbook. Something else I don’t care about is the 20% faster page turns. Maybe if I were a speed reader this would help, but I’m not. I never noticed the page turning being slow before, but I’ll pay attention.
- All-New, High-Contrast E-Ink Screen – 50% better contrast than any other e-reader
- Read in Bright Sunlight – No glare
- New and Improved Fonts – New crisper, darker fonts
- New Sleek Design – 21% smaller body while keeping the same 6″ size reading area
- 17% Lighter – Only 8.5 ounces, weighs less than a paperback
- Battery Life of Up to One Month – A single charge lasts up to one month with wireless off
- Double the Storage – Up to 3,500 Books
- Built-In Wi-Fi – Shop and download books in less than 60 seconds
- 20% Faster Page Turns – Seamless reading
- Enhanced PDF Reader – With dictionary lookup, notes, and highlights
- New WebKit-Based Browser – Browse the web over Wi-Fi (experimental)